Florida is derived from the Spanish word meaning flower “flore” so florida water means flower water. The company Lanman and Murray has been making a commercial version of Florida Water since the 19th century. There are hundreds of recipes for florida water and it is used in all kinds of spiritual activities-from cleansing, blessing, and protecting, to offerings for the ancestors, to healing and removing negativity.
Florida Water Recipe
Florida water is commonly made with alcohol-which adds to its cooling effect. Below are two recipes:
Momma Hen’s Rose-a-licious Florida Water:
- 3-4 bottles of a commercial Florida water of your choice
- 3 cups roses (we prefer strongly scented antique roses and have over 200 varieties to choose from in our gardens)
- 3 cups Jasmine flowers
- 3 cups aromatic greens like mint, lemon balm, lemon verbena, basil, Mexican mint marigold, thyme)
- 3 cinnamon sticks
- You can use fresh flowers and plants for this recipe. Combine all ingredients together on the new moon and allow to sit for a full lunation. Strain out plant material, add any essential oils you like, then bottle, spritz, sprinkle, and go to town!
A recipe for Florida Water than involves cooking:
- This is a recipe that I created and involved cooking the ingredients on low either at the stove or crock pot.
- 5 cups of Vodka
- 9 cinnamon sticks
- 18 all-spice berries
- one orange peel (preferably dried)
- 3 cups rose petals (fresh or dried)
- 3 cups Jasmine flowers (fresh to get the scent)
- three bay leaves
- 1/2 cup dried angelica root
- 1 cup aromatic green herb
Add dried ingredients and cook for about 10 minutes on low. Be careful inhaling the fumes–at this point it will be very Vodka-y. Then add fresh flowers and greens. Cook for 30-45 minutes on low/med-low or even longer. Stir occasionally and then sniff test. You want the botanicals to start outweighing the vodka in your sniff test.
Take off stove, cool, and add any essential oils you like! Bottle, spritz, and sprinkle away!
Formula for Florida water
Florida Water is commonly used and is popular due to its many uses, positive reputation, easy availability and classic distinctive fragrance.
Florida Water Formula
- 8 ounces (one cup) 180 proof alcohol such as Everclear brand1
- 1 teaspoon lavender oil
- 1 teaspoon bergamot oil
- 1 teaspoon lemon or orange oil
- 1/4 teaspoon clove or 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon (cassia) oil
- 2 ounces (one fourth cup) cup water
Combine all ingredients in an air tight glass jar and shake. Shake well before using but after a week. For external use only.
Use the highest proof vodka, gin, etc. to obtain either high proof rum or pure grain alcohol. You can find or use rubbing alcohol available from any drug store or grocer, selecting the highest proof or percentage of alcohol possible.
Florida water and it’s benefits
The basic ingredients are alcohol and essential oils. The essential oils generally used are orange, lavender and lemon oil in Florida Water.
Florida Water is said to have many different benefits for men and women. It is also has strong spiritual properties which makes it popular. Murray & Lanman’s Florida Water Cologne has both spiritual and practical purposes. It is spiritually used to cleanse the soul, attract good luck and provide protection. Florida Water is valued as a spiritual water.
1.Spiritual baths to enhance
2. Wear as a protective shield that leaves a delicate scent.
3. Mist in the environment to repel negative energy and negative spirits.
4. Mist to attract good spirits.
5. Add to floor for its cleansing properties.
6. Use to wash a pair of lodestones in preparation for use.
7. Add few drops to a bowl of water then place it on your ancestral altar as an offering to your ancestors.
8. Use after showering for an exhilarating rubdown and toner.
9. Use as an astringent and skin lotion to tone the skin, leaving it with a feeling of freshness.
10. Applied to insects bites to provide relief.